Saturday, March 28, 2009

Be a Pilgrim

As I searched for any book or website relating to the Camino, what spoke to me the loudest was, "Be a Pilgrim". One of my self-perceptions is that I have a tendency to be a nomad.
My father would take me for car rides, "Destination Unknown". What that meant was that my Mother and I would not know where we were going and neither would my Father. We would almost always start out by driving to a natural setting like a lake, forest, or beach. My Father would, without warning, turn quickly down a road that was not familiar to my Mother or me. One part of the "Destination Unknown" that was always known was that we would end up somewhere to eat. We became "experts" of the back roads of the San Francisco Bay Area and the good places to eat anything from chicken pot pies to cotton candy.
Now many years later, I am aware that those rides with my parents instilled in me a sense of adventure. Also, I came to believe that my ability to feel "at home" anywhere is only as good as my attitude about being with myself and who I am.
The more I read about the Camino, the more I knew that what being a pilgrim meant to me was surrendering to "what is" every moment. To go with the flow and be grateful for all that appears. The best of both worlds is the joy of being a "nomad" and knowing that I have a home that I will eventually return to.

3 comments:

  1. You know, your parents were really wonderful; they gave you so much - including unconditional love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy you are such a powerful spirit and I am so proud of you and your amazing accomplishments!!! I am constantly inspired by you and am honored to know you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember your recent affirmation in yoga class? You wrote, "I have fun!" You do, and you bring the fun with you. So, HAVE FUN!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete