Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lavacolla to Santiago!!















Written on June 26, 2009....6 miles.
Cathedral photo courtesy of http://www.ourcamino.com/
As we left Lavacolla I was grateful for how far we´ve gone, how healthy and well we are and how many good friends we have made along the way.
We walked into Monte do Gozo. There was a wonderful pilgrim statue tribute.
A little further into San Marcos we had our first glimpse of Santiago.
We have arrived here by putting one foot in front of the other.
Since June, 2008 all if have known is that I would walk the Camino de Santiago to Finisterre via Santiago. I didn´t have any expectations about the walk, I just knew that I would do it and I would be safe and all of my needs would be met. So as we walked down the hill to Santiago I felt that all was in right order and this is exactly where I´m suppose to be. As we moved toward the Oficina de Peregrinos, (Pilgrim Office), we caught sight of the Cathedral. I instantly felt peaceful and knew that I was right where millions of other pilgrims have walked since at least the eigth century. As we hurried along to get to the Pilgrim office an elderly lady asked in Spanish if we needed a room I replied with ¨tenemos cabras¨. A few minutes later I realized that I had told her that we have goats. I was trying to tell her ¨tememos camas¨, we have beds. I was laughing so hard when I realized what I said that shop owners were looking at me.
We found the office of peregrinos and lined up to show our pilgrim passport and receive our Compestela. a credential showing that we walked at least 100 km to Santiago. We walked 749 km (495 miles).
While we were in line I looked at the young woman´s shoulder in front of me..her tattoo read ¨ si queres, puedes¨If you want, you can¨. What a profound message on the shoulder of a woman. No truer statment. a reminder that whenever I set my intention, I achieve it. After our pilgrim passports were scrutinized and we were asked to sign in we were given a Compestela. As I received my Compestela I honored myself for all that I have accomplished in my life. Every person´s Camino is to be honored.
When we first got in line there were about thirty of us. After receiving our Compestelas and congratulating everyone around us we walked by more than a hundred people in line on the stairs. In the line of pilgrims were several pilgrims that we recognized..the three young people that we promised we would see in Santiago, and several others that had passed us many times.
We left the pilgrim office, asked for a map of the city and moved quickly to find the Hostal Alameda where we had a reservation. We just had a few minutes to check in and go back to the area where the Cathedral is for the Pilgrim Mass.
We found two of the last places to sit in the Cathedral. We sat, catching our breath and looking for pilgrims that we know. Soon we saw Pamela from London, and several people that Lisa had walked with and stayed in albergues with.....and then Vern spotted Lisa in another section of the Cathedral! I went over and motioned that we would meet her after the service.
The Mass, naturally was conducted in Spanish. Alot of the formalities and singing was done by a Nun. There were two pilgrims, one fom Germany and one from Spain that spoke. During the service a list of how many pilgrims from each country had received a Compestela and where they had started their pilgrimage was read. As the service went on I realized that it was harder for me to stand each time everyone stood. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the Cathedral. Also such a large group of pilgrims who achieved their goal and helped others achieve theirs was very moving for me.
At the end of the service the Botafumerio was filled with incense, lit and was swung high from side to side in the Cathedral. It was originally used to fumigate the sweaty and disease- ridden pilgrims. The Botafumerio is not used at every pilgrim service. We felt so fortunate to be there as it was swinging high right over our heads.
After service Lisa showed us where to line up to ¨hug the apostle¨and where to get in line to kneel in front of the casket containing relics of St. James. As we were going from line to line we saw more pilgrim friends. Victor, Javier and a friend of theirs were there. We had previously walked a long way with them. It was so good to see them. I feel such a special bond with these young men. They are gentle souls, good human beings who have added more than they know to my Camino.
We saw Chejuan from Korea, Gobbie from Germany. Several peoople who Vern always seemed to know their names, but I didn´t.
There is such an air of celebration around Santiago...reunions, pilgrims hugging and jumping, and laying on the stone slabs that form the square in front of the west side of the Cathedral.
Since I´ve arrived in Spain I am fascinated with the structures of stone. Stone buildings, stone slabs to form foot bridges over creeks and rivers. Thin vertical pieces of stone especially in Galicia to create boundary lines and fences.
We saw Alcx from Holland who had just returned from Finisterre. He was full of info and good tips for that part of the Camino. We spent some more time with Lisa and then went to our room to settle in and pack up for tomorrow.
Santiago is one of the very special places in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment