Thursday, July 2, 2009

Trabadelo to Laguna de Castilla

A Palloza
Written on June 18, 2009......10.9 miles.
Leaving Trabadelo we walked along the highway for awhile. A wall had been built to protect walkers. There were many villages today within two to three miles of each other. We took a break at a panaderia, (bakery) and had coffee and toast. Sometime later Vern stopped at a bar to use the bathroom. As he was in the bar I walked to the chapel next door...it was closed. As we were leaving I noticed the door was open so I went in...no one inside, but a few candles burning and a place to light your own candle and leave a donation. Also there was a stamp, pad, and a pen for those who would like a stamp, (sello), from the chapel. We started a slow climb up another mountain toward La Faba, a place we thought we might stay at. As we were making our way toward La Faba we were on a very narrow trail with brush on both sides. I started to hear yelling and bells...soon coming right at us were huge beautiful cows with horns. One young man and a dog were guiding about seven huge cows down the mountain. I quickly moved into the brush and was so grateful to be that close to the animals. I thought they were bulls but Vern had looked more closely and decided that they were cows with horns.
Soon we came to La Faba and decided that we felt good enough to keep going to the next village. We continued up the mountain. As we walked there was less shade. We found out later it was 95 degrees. We did very well and reached the village of Laguna de Castilla. Just on the right while entering the village was a Palloza, the first one we have seen. A traditional structure with a straw roof, built in the round.
We arrived at noon and asked for a room. One albergue/cafe in the village. She said that she had a private room available. As we entered the room I went to the window....beautiful view of the valley and just as I thought we were right in the middle of a farm.
As I went out to check my clothes on the clothesline a woman guided a horse right through the clothes and into a field where her husband was waiting with a wooden plow to attach to the horse and proceeded to plow the field.
Today at the albergue I met a young woman from Fairfax, California. It was good to talk with her and both share our experiences so far on the Camino.
This albergue is filling quickly. I love this village with its flies and animals. No phone or internet. The owner of the albergue goes to the garden to pick vegetables for the meals that she prepares.
I feel blessed to be here. As I offer to pay right away, the woman says tranquilamente. And I say muy bueno.

1 comment: