Friday, June 5, 2009

Castrojeriz to Fromista


Written on June 4, 2009......15.8 miles.
We left Castrojeriz at 5:40 a.m. Today is the final stage of the Meseta. We wanted to get going before it got hot. We had to climb a steep hill to leave Castrojeriz. As I climbed I occupied myself with a to do list that I turned into a mantra. I had an orange that I wanted to eat...it was heavy...so orange was a word. I need to unzip the legs of my pants because I was hot....pants was a word. I needed to drink my sports drink for electrolytes...so drink was a word. My mantra became orange, pants, drink..orange, pants, drink. I repeated it a thousand times.
As I reached the summit I looked back and saw the most beautiful valley and sunrise.
We walked eight miles to the first bar. As I was drinking my decaf espresso with leche I heard American music coming out of a speaker on the veranda. Yes! I danced and drank my coffee.
Today we walked on alot of earthen paths clearly marked. Very few pilgrims today.
No shade, carrying 3 liters of water.
After a few more miles we stopped in the village of Boadilla. We found a bar with a backyard and a pilgrim from Louisiana. The three of us were talking about how few Americans we have met on the Camino. We were the first she had met. Vern and I have met about ten Americans, but we have met alot of English speaking people from Canada, Ireland, England, Germany and other places. Just about that time here comes Andrew from Virginia who we had met yesterday in Castrojeriz. We had our coffee and were going back into the bar to get something else...it was closed. Oh well, it´s siesta time.
There is an ancient canal system in Fromista that seems to be updated over the years. It seems to be one of the highlights of this village. Another highlight is the eleventh century Iglesia de San Martin. A beautiful one of a kind cathedral...at one time could have been a fortress as well, or it seems. It has been hailed as one of the finest examples of pure Romanesque in Spain. The detail is beyond belief.
For the last few days we have chosen hotels over albergues. We have needed the extra sleep and the t.l.c. that comes with a hot bath.
We love the feel of Fromista and will spend tomorrow here taking care of ourselves and ¨re-grouping¨.

No comments:

Post a Comment