Friday, June 5, 2009

Hornillos del Camino to Castrojeriz

The remains of St. Anton over the road on the way to Castrojeriz.
Written on June 3, 2009....13.2 miles
Vern and I and the family were the first ones to leave the albergue. I did not want to wake up the other twelve people so I put on my headlamp and got dressed in the hallway. I took my backpack and sleeping bag outside to a bench to get organized and ready to go. After brushing my teeth in the plaza I was ready to go. Everyday I am carrying three liters of water and drink every bit of it.
As we were leaving Hornillos, walking up a hill, a fellow pilgrim passed and as she did she turned around and gasped......the sun was rising and it was incredible.
We took few breaks today and moved along quickly as it was getting hot earlier than usual.
The silence in the Meseta is deafening. Blue butterflies and again...red poppies guided the way.
One of the only areas with shade and a cafe was Hontanas about seven miles from where we started. As we walked toward Hontanas we did not see it until we were almost on top of it. It is hidden in a valley with the very top of the church the only part of the village that is visible.
We are grateful that we started early. By 11:30 a.m. the sun was hot.
Vern was far ahead singing, ¨She´s so vicious, she´s so vicious¨ really loud to some song on his ipod. About that time a couple from Madrid caught up with me and looked at Vern who was still singing. I told them that mi esposo tiene musica en su cabeza. They laughed and moved on. They told me that they are walking the Camino in three parts in three years. This is their second year.
As we entered Castrojeriz a college student stopped us and indicated that he wanted us to answer a survey about the Camino. Vern stopped to talk with him. I told the student that I would answer his survey if we moved into the sombra, (shade). Vern didn´t care if he was in the sun so he stayed with the student...I moved on to find a quiet room with a bathtub.
We found a wonderful room. We went to a farmers market outside and bought a couple of bananas and apples. We did very little walking in this village as we needed to save our energy for another day in the Meseta.

No comments:

Post a Comment