Saturday, May 30, 2009

Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada

A typical albergue room.
Written on May 28, 2009 13 miles

We walked a few miles to Azofra, a small village. We found a bar and .....wah, lah!

Many people that we know. Mathias, from Germany, is a young man that we met last night. Mathias, (pronounced Matias), was wearing an Obama Rocks shirt. He speaks very good English. When we saw him in the bar he gave me his email address to send him inauguration pictures.

I have to say that today can only be described as perfect...perfect walking conditions, wonderful people. Surroundings that could not truly be captured in any other form but with one´s eye. It´s impossible to count the hues of green. The lighting on ruins, vineyards and mountains makes it more beautiful.

As we approached Cireuña at the summit of a mountain there was a park built especially for pilgrims. There we found Monica and Sonia sunbathing in bikinis! They must be wearing their bikinis under their hiking clothes....smart women!

Cirueña is one of the few areas where we have seen a golf course. One of the pilgrims walked ahead. We saw him some time later hitting golf balls at the driving range.

As I´m thinking of it I want to talk about the personal victories that I experience as I walk. A sore toe or a twinge in my back indicates that it´s time for me to consciously be grateful. Grateful for my heart, legs, feet, breath, the whole package. As I put every thought into gratitude for what I have, including a rock to take a break on, the twinges and any discomfort disappears. The surrender that I so wanted to experience is a moment by moment part of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment