Saturday, May 30, 2009

Torres del Rio to Navarette

Written on May 26, 2009 20 miles


Vern and I left the hostel at 6:10 a.m. and walked up and down some hills and past the ruins of an old Roman settlement. We then climbed steeply up into the medieval town of Viana past the 13th century church of Santa Maria.We passed Laguna de las Canera with several lakes and a great walking path. First we walked through Logrono, a big city. The first person we saw was Olivier!!!!! When we left Villamayor he was not walking very good. Here he is already in Logrono.

There are so many awesome people on the Camino. Sometimes in the early mornings we´re behind the guy that sings Italian opera as he walks along....I love it. Sometimes we´re behind the man with the pink towel on his head, held on by a rubber band. When we´re near him and near a highway he raises his walking sticks high in the air so that the trucks will honk. Pretty soon all of us are raising our walking sticks and having fun with the trucks.

This reminds me of something that happens to me at about 9 miles of walking....all of a sudden I just start laughing. No apparent reason. Just start laughing. We might think we´re lost or can´t find a place to stay...all full, or I have to go the bathroom now....or nothing is going on....I´ll just laugh. It took me several days to figure out that there was actually a pattern there.

Anyway, back to Logrono....after seeing Olivier we were looking for any place to stay. Just then I hear Nancy....what, who knows me? It was Monica and Sonia....we were jumping...they were yelling chicken eye, chicken eye. That is what Vern and Monica call each other because of the blisters that they have.

They´re headed for Navarette...another 7 miles.

After they left we discovered that we will not be staying in Logrono....3 and 4 star hotels. I´m not willing to walk far off of the Camino to look for lodging. We decided to head to Navarette. As a result we walked 20 miles today.

When we found our hotel room, the cost was 56 euros for dinner and breakfast for both of us and the room with a bathroom! Scored!!!

When I laid on the bed with my feet up I soon got the chills. I put blankets on but it didn´t help. I quick mixed some water with my protein powder and sports drink. Yes!! I feel good again. I just flushed the toliet..it sounded like a jet plane...won´t flush it very often.

3 comments:

  1. You are both so amazing and your experience sounds so wonderfully exciting and breath taking on so many levels, what a wonderful life journey and soul connection for the two of you. Thank you for sharing with us in such detail and allowing us to imagine the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, you are my hero. I admire you and Vern so much. I feel like I am right there with you.

    Love, Linda W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, I am enjoying this adventure story so much. Your writing is vivid, thanks for sharing. My Croatian travels star next week.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete