Friday, May 22, 2009

Refugio Orisson, France to Burguete, Spain

Written on Monday, May 18, 2009 13.24 miles

This morning we woke to a breakfast of coffee or tea (our choice) in bowls, french bread, butter and jam. We picked up 2 sandwiches we had ordered...jamon and fromage.

Today´s climb was about 6 hours. We walked through ground fog and mist. I could hear the bells on the sheep, but could not see them. Two pilgrims on horses rode by, then pilgrims on bicycles. All day we saw fellow pilgrims that we had stayed with at St. Jean and Orisson.

There´s something about seeing a familiar kind face that helps move me up the moutain. A woman from France said it best....Many of us don´t understand the language of the other, but we´re united with the same spirit.

Once we reached Col de Lepoder at 4757 feet we started going down a steep rock, dirt, mud path. Yesterday we started just above sea level.

Once we reached Ronscavalles Bob and Kathy were already there. They had checked out the hostels there and decided that Burguete would be a better place to stay.

Bob and I volunteered to the task of using an international phone card and calling a private hostel in Burguete...we did it. I asked the lady in Spanish if she had room for 4 persons. It ended up being a hostel that has a piano that Ernest Hemingway autographed.....or so it was told. I saw the piano, but not the autograph....didn´t look that hard.

Yesterday when I was putting on my backpack Bob had tried to help me....I backed up so that I could do it myself. My thinking was....I need to know how to do this without anyone around. Today as I was putting my pack on after a break a lady came behind and helped me.....today I learned to graciously accept help.

One of the first gifts of the Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment