Saturday, May 30, 2009

Navarette to Najera

Written on May 27, 2009. 10.5 miles


Today as we walked I realized that my feet and body feel good. It is true that it takes about 5 days to figure out how one´s body will react to the constant walking and extra weight of the backpack.


Today while leaving Navarette we saw what we thought was an eagle nest....actually a stork nest. Storks flying everywhere. Very graceful. They´re just gliding overhead.

Yesterday as we walked toward Logrono which is between Torres del Rio and Navarette we were taking a break. As I turned around to put my backpack on in the distance I saw what looked like 300 pilgrims. Usually we see 2-4 walking together. We got ready and took off. Soon they caught up with us. They were a large group of people wearing red scarves. A man told Vern that they are a group of Basques walking from Pamplona. There were both French and Spanish speaking people. Also, yesterday as we were in Logrono talking to Monica and Sonia, the Basque group came by. Vern put out his hand for each person to slap as they went by. Monica was shocked...how do you know so many people in Spain? Again another party as we laughed about was happening and translating within ourselves in our own language and our own perceptions what that moment means to us. Now every time we see Monica and Sonia we just say ¨We love you¨.

Days ago Monica & Sonia, Vern & I became friends when we gave them some ham and cheese and chocolate.

We arrived in Najera. All that we could find was a loft. We shared it with 2 other couples.

As we walked around the town Vern was looking for a tiende, (market). I politely asked an elderly lady if she could tell me where the tiende is. She quickly responded by rubbing her thumb and index finger together indicating that she would tell me if I paid her. My first thought was...if I pay her and she tells me it doesn´t mean I´m going to understand. So off we went. We stopped at a Panaderia, (bakery). The lady in the bakery told us where the market is. About a block away. Najera is a large town, very much a mix of ancient and modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment